I found this post over on IMDb this morning and I have to say it bought it all home to me loud and clear that Sam truly does love Dean and has done his best in the past to save him come what may. The writing also bought me to tears, and moved me. So why has Sam in the past had a hard time from fans? and why have the writers given Sam the short straw? We know in our hearts that Sam is not as popular as Dean, so in your eyes why do you feel this? What could the writers maybe do to change Sam, if they need to change anything? So what do you think about Sam below, would love to know what you think, and where you think the writers have gone wrong, if you think they have?
- Let’s begin with looking back at season 8 and then earlier seasons. It’s head canon for me that when Sam hit that dog (as we saw in season 8) he was really out of control and suicidal because he thought he had lost Dean forever. What happened after that, prolonged his life and then Amelia came in to play and that’s why he told her at some point “you saved me”. They were both broken and so many things had be taken from the both of them. They knew what pain and loneliness felt like. I do NOT ship them. No chemistry at all between them. But I do understand their relationship and I have learnt to accept Sam’s reasons for not looking for Dean. I do believe he had to look for him. But he had been through so much before the whole ordeal with Dick Roman. Ever since he got his soul back he was tormented by his memories of Hell and then he had to endure sleep deprivation and not being able to tell what’s real and what’s not for so long. He almost died in that mental hospital and not much time later he lost his brother. No wonder “HIS WORLD IMPLODED” as he put it. What he should have done was sit and talk with his brother and explain to him all these things in detail. Because for all Dean knew, Sam just bailed. Took off and found a girl. Sam didn’t make Dean understand. Dean would have listened, he loves Sam more than anything and he would have listened. That’s why Sam took on the trials. He wanted to show Dean that he puts HIM first. That he wanted to carry their burden so that Dean didn’t get caught in the crossfire. And he suffered for that as well.
- He did save Dean and once again he ended up dying. And when he was dying, he wanted to let go so that Dean had a better chance in life. He thought he was only holding Dean back. He told Death he didn’t want anyone to get hurt because of him (DEAN). He made clear that nobody could make a deal for him (DEAN). So…THAT’S HOW MUCH SAM LOVES HIS BROTHER Now.
For some FURTHER evidence throughout the years.
- Sam did not give up when Dean was dying in “Faith”
- Sam came back for Dean in “Scarecrow”
- Sam joined Dean’s side when he was pointing the Colt at John who was possessed by YED at that moment.
- Sam did not give up for 1 second trying to look for ways to bring Dean out of his coma.
- Sam made Dean promise him he’d kill him if he ever turned dark sidebecause he never wanted to hurt Dean. (Playthings)
- Sam searched for Dean and saved him when he got jumped by the Djinn and he was trapped in that dreamworld
- Sam tried EVERYTHING, searched for months for ways to change Dean’s deal in season 3.
- Sam had to watch his brother die more than 100 times in Mystery Spot and then hunted alone for months before he managed to convince the trickster/Gabriel to bring Dean back.
- Sam, tried to sell his soul for Dean. He tried to deal but no demon would deal. (I know what you did last summer). He didn’t even want a year in exchange
- Sam wanted to kill Lilith to avenge his brother. To get payback for what she did to his brother. Before Dean came back from Hell this purpose was the only thing keeping him from suicide. That’s why he drank Demon Blood. He was willing to destroy himself in order to kill the bitch and end it all.
- Sam left Dean in season 5 to keep him safe from HIMSELF. So that none would go after Dean because of HIM. Sam never stopped believing in Dean. Not even when Dean lost all of his faith. He brought him together when they went to get Adam even when Dean warned him he would say “YES” to Michael. Sam knew his big brother you make the right call in the end.
- Sam made the ultimate sacrifice and jumped in the pit of Hell along with Lucifer and Michael, ending his life and saving the entire world but most of all SAVING DEAN.
- Sam sacrificed his sanity after he took his soul back and the wall crumbled so that he would be with his brother. I AM NOT LEAVING MY BROTHER ALONE OUT THERE (The man who knew too much)
- Sam trusted in Dean when he couldn’t tell if he was in Hell anymore or not. His STONE NUMBER ONE WAS DEAN
- Sam forgave Dean for killing Amy because he understood that Dean did what he couldn’t do and that family is there to do the “dirty job”
- Sam worked non stop with Jody to get Dean back when he was lost in the 40’s with Chronos and Eliot Ness. Once more HE DID NOT GIVE UP.
- Sam was constantly worried about Dean’s alcohol problem in season 7 and he frequently tried to reason with him And since I talked about season 8 above one last thing. In the season 9 premiere he was given a choice. Let go of the pain and the hunting life, all the troubles and the dangers and find peace and freedom in Heaven (because come on, he belongs there). OR stay and fight alongside his brother. Fight the Angels and the Demons and the Monsters and LIVE. Carry on their legacy. And guess what.
- HE CHOSE DEAN.
- He chose to live BECAUSE OF DEAN. And he’s happier than ever with him and their life.
- I’m sure he will forgive Dean later when he finds out about Ezekiel. He always does. He will probably get mad at first but it’s certain they’ll get over it.
So that’s it. That’s all I had to say.
Sam and Dean love each other MORE THAN ANYONE AND ANYTHING. Nothing else in the universe can compete with this brotherly love. It’s the most powerful bond in the whole wide (fictional) world.