Once again my inspiration has found something in a thread over on IMDb. The heading really made me think, and think hard. If I am totally honest I found this easy to call as Sam wouldn’t have remembered it. He had six months of normality before YED come onto the scene and bled into his mouth as a baby. So without thinking about what’s wrong with Sam scenarios’s that’s happened down the years, I think Sam has NEVER really known what its like to be Sam Winchester?
So Sam Winchester, “THIS IS YOUR LIFE”
- Season 1 – Precognitive Dreams powers from Azazel’s blood
- Season 1 – Demons watching over him
- Season 2 – Sam begins to search to find out clues of Azazel’s plan for him being a leader to his demon army
- Season 3 – Sam continues to learn more about his abilities
- Season 4 – Sam’s powers are an important part of the fourth season in breaking the main seal, regularly drinking demon blood and ruby’s
- Season 4 – Detoxing from Ruby’s blood – hallucinations.
- Season 5 – Found he was the true vessel of Lucifer the archangel
- Season 6 – Sam’s soul is not with him and is still trapped in Lucifer’s Cage.
- Season 6 – Death gives Sam’s mind a “protective wall” to prevent any negative effects. Death also warns him not to scratch the wall he has built, or his memories from Hell will destroy him
- Season 7 – Lucifer taunting him – Hallucinations of Lucifer
- Season 8 – Grief after Dean’s supposed Death end of season 7
- Season 8 – Damage caused by the trials season 8
- Season 8 – Ezekiel curing Sam from the trials and possessing him
So with all this interference in his life is it any wonder Sam has yearned to be ‘Normal’. Wanting to get out of the hunting life permanently. So are the writers really beginning to come to terms with this that Sam continues to be infected by something or some one.
I have really felt for his plight though, regardless of negativity from the fandom. I think he’s taken it on the chin, and taken the rough with the smooth. I think a human though can only take so much and he needs a break. Being a young man still I wonder what else he can physically take on. He’s already been on a physic ward and come back from hell without his soul. So where else can the writers really go with sick Sam? Has it come to a dead end that they can actually put more tragedy on the guy and have him survive.
So have we ever really seen Sam just be Sam. Or has that bus already left the depot. Can Sam ever really have a season where nothing infects him, or changes his personality. Have the writers literally taken Sam too far that he’s crossed that human line, that we will never see the real human Sam? When Sam came back from the dead Dean was really unnerved when Azazel told Dean did Sammy come back 100% SAM? This implanted and sewed the seed in Dean’s mind that his brother may not be whom he once was. So has the ship sunk for Sam and his character will always be known as sick, limp crazy Sam the boy who always has something wrong with him? What can the writers do to change this unhealthy pattern?